The XOD's are beautiful 20ft classic wooden keel boats, many painted and some varnished. They sail two or three up from the end of March to the end of October in over 100 races a year using the whole of Chichester Harbour and sometimes the Solent.
The X fleet at Itchenor is one of six Solent clubs that race X's, culminating, if one wants, in racing at Cowes Week and Cowes Classic Week and lots of Solent racing in-between.
We are a very competitive fleet with the winner of Cowes for the last seven years coming from Itchenor!
There are 40 X boats at Itchenor (not all on the water at the same time) and we all race together, giving everyone the impetus to improve. Within the group are three fleets of different standards and success in each is recognised with one of 40 different cups and prizes.
Every Wednesday we sail a fun race in the harbour by ourselves, which is often the highlight of the week, in a beautiful empty harbour, with the setting sun and a glass or two in the bar with dinner afterwards, it's a great way to get to know us and join in the fun.
You can join us - we're very friendly - by being a boat tart (someone who crews on lots of different boats). It's a way of getting to know who we all are, whether you like us, and who you want to race with. Email Gill for more information.
Many boats encourage partnerships where maintenance costs are divided which keeps down the cost of owning an XOD. If you want to helm, this is a good way to get hold of the tiller and have great sailing, learn the tides and shallows of the fast moving water with a regular team as Chichester Harbour can be more challenging than the Solent. The XOD truly is the queen of racing.
If you want, we can arrange training by an XOD sailor or RYA instructor to help you get the best out of an X.
We have lots of news, race results, trophies and lots more information on our XOD website
For more details contact: Steve Dover, Class Captain
Crew Available / Crew Wanted
If you're available to crew a boat or looking for crew for your boat, why not try our integrated Crew Finder in the Members Area!
If you're available to crew:
- Log on to the ISC website.
- In the Members Area, scroll down to the Crew Finder section and click on "Crew available".
- Click on "update your availability", input the relevant information and click update at the bottom.
- You're now visible and contactable via the Crew available list, you can also go to the crew wanted section and click on View all recent listings to see if there is anyone that may suit your needs.
If you're looking for crew:
- Log on to the ISC website.
- In the Members Area, scroll down to the Crew Finder section and click on "Crew wanted".
- Click on "update your crew requirements".
- Click on the boat you require a crew for.
- Click on "Crew Finder" and select "Yes, I am looking for crew for my boat", input the relevant information and click update at the bottom.
- This will now be displayed in the crew wanted area of the website for people to view, you can also go to the crew available section to see if there is anyone that may suit your crewing needs.
Last updated 11:01 on 29 November 2023